Connected Vehicles 101
Connected Vehicle (CV) “pilot program” designed to make transportation safer, smarter and greener. The THEA CV pilot program would outfit cars, buses and roadside equipment with technology so that they can communicate with each other about various traffic conditions.
Download the CV PRESS KIT HERE
1. Roadside equipment could be in traffic signals, cameras and attached to poles.
2. Sensors could be installed along roads to monitor traffic conditions along with dedicated short-range communications to transmit information to drivers.
3. Existing cell phone towers may be used to receive highway traffic information from cars and sensors and send that information back to drivers about possible hazards.
4. Equipment needed for this system would be in cars allowing them to communicate with one another.
5. Wire sensors known as “loop detectors” can be embedded in the roads and could provide data on traffic speeds and volumes.
6. Smartphone and Smart car apps can give real-time warnings and alerts to pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers about potential hazards, emergency vehicles approaching, and when it’s safe to cross or change lanes.
As an independent Expressway Authority, 100% of our revenues stay right here in Tampa and Hillsborough County. Our four properties (the Selmon Expressway, the Brandon Parkway, Meridian Avenue and the Selmon Greenway) are vital links in our region's transportation system. Maintaining local control is key to providing the quality transportation options our region needs and deserves!
The Selmon Expressway is an All-Electronic Toll roadway. This means that there are no toll booths on the Expressway. Tolls are paid through SunPass or Toll-by-Plate (a photo is taken and a bill is sent to the address on the registration of the license plate.)
Please be advised that Administrative Charges May Apply to Toll-by-Plate Invoices.
To complete the Road Ranger Customer Feedback Survey, click here.
Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.